Friday, October 9, 2009

It's Over...So, Now it begins

Monday...we found out our van's transmission has something wrong with it. It had to be taken to Honda for an official "diagnosis." We of course only had one car which I have to drive to work, leaving Hunter with no car. The next day did not get any better.
Tuesday...I had a terribly rough day at work. It was actually pretty horrible for only a 1/2 day. We didn't get much sleep Monday night, so of course, I was tired and overslept Tuesday morning. On my way to work I was pretty tearful just stressing about Ema. My boss managed to get irritated with me about something first thing Tuesday morning. I became even more tearful. Hunter and I are extremely stressed; therefore, we are short with each other. (Read: Something else to make me cry!!) SO...I left work around 12:45 and made a couple of stops on the way home. The boys went down for nap and we packed our things. We headed to Nashville with both sets of grandparents following. We are lucky to have such a good family support system. We basically put the boys in the car w/ Hunter's parents and Ema rode with us. This way we didn't have to rent a car to take.
After a sleepless night...we got up around 4 am and headed out to the hospital around 6 am. We signed in and were called back around 7:00.
It was actually a really unique experience. The worst thing we had to see Ema go through was taking her vitals. She fell asleep in my mom's arms while we waited on the doctors to come back. We talked to the anesthesiologists, surgeons and that was it. She was actually taken from me at 8:30 (the scheduled surgery time). She was put to sleep with gas before an IV was placed, so she never felt anything. Within about an hour and 15 minutes we were sitting in a conference room talking to the surgeon. All went well and we could see her soon. Within a few seconds of leaving him, we were called back to recovery because she was awake and hungry.
The sight of her was truly as exciting as seeing her for the first time. She was awake and fussy. That was a welcome sound!!!
I really cannot describe what it is like to have your child go through something like this. When they took her from us, it was the most helpless feeling in the world, but seeing her again was the most welcome feeling in the world.
We have a long road ahead of us, but she's actually crying to eat right now, so I'll leave you and catch up again tomorrow.
Thank you, God, for being so good to us!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Ema is recovering so well...and I hope that Mommy and Daddy will be able to do the same. Nothing is more stressful than concern for your baby! Addie was in NICU for two weeks...and leaving the hospital without her was horrible. I will keep you all in prayer!

    ReplyDelete